Jerrybear54's Sports Desk

politics sports popular culture and assorted postmodernist gibberish

Thursday, August 11, 2005

OK, time to rant a bit on the shameful state of music being played at most sporting events. There are just a few songs I hear at most games that I can really stand, "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones being the only one that comes readily to mind. Most of the other stuff I hear just seems to be pretty lame, to the point where I do not really even know or care to know what it is I am having to listen to.

"Y.M.C.A." by the Village People tends to get played a lot. "L.A.M.E." would be a better title for this song. Maybe it was just a wee tiny bit cool back in 1978 but it has not aged well and is basically a perfect example of All That Was Wrong With Disco.

Here are some songs I'd like to hear at the next Detroit Shock game I go to, and at the Michigan women's basketball games this season:

"The Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion," "Truckin'," "Bertha," "Shakedown Street," and "Promised Land" all by the Grateful Dead. Or Chuck Berry's original of "Promised Land." Or either the Dead or Berry doing "Johnny B. Goode."

"Midnight Rider" and "Ramblin' Man" by the Allman Brothers Band.

"Run Like An Antelope" by Phish.

"Purple Haze," "Are You Experienced," and "Bold As Love" by Jimi Hendrix.

"Like A Rolling Stone" and "Subterrenian Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan.

I'll think of some more later...but these are a good start.

2 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Micah said...

I'm with you on the music thing, Jerrybear.

BTW - Dylan writes well, but I always really liked hearing Hendrix cover his songs. His cover of "Like a Rolling Stone" from Jimi Plays Monterey is great.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Jerrybear54 said...

Hi, Micah!

Thanks for your comments...and please let others know about my blog!

Yeah, Jimi's covers of Like A Rolling Stone and All Along the Watchtower are great. But I also like Dylan's own stuff as well. His voice may not be pretty but IMO that is exactly what blues/folk/rock is supposed to sound like anyway. Especially the blues...if it is too pretty and polished it kind of loses it's essential "bluesness" IMO...but of course your opinion's as good as mine at the end of the day!

Thanks again, and keep posting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home