Jerrybear54's Sports Desk

politics sports popular culture and assorted postmodernist gibberish

Friday, January 27, 2006

Michigan women's basketball reached new lows for the 2005-06 season, getting blown out on their home court (77-57) by Northwestern who came into the game with an identical 0-7 Big Ten record and a slightly worse overall mark. Now Michigan is alone in the basement with el zippo conference wins. Next up is Wisconsin who is 1-7 in the Big Ten. This may be Michigan's last best hope for a conference victory.

Purdue, on the other hand, is all by their lonesome at the top of the Big Ten at 8-0. Ohio State is not far behind at 7-1 and Minnesota is a half game behind the Bucks at 6-1. I pretty much expected these three to be among the top four. The current fourth place team, Indiana, is a complete surprise to me so far, as I had them pegged at number 10 or 11. Iowa is currently in fifth, exactly where I thought they would be. Michigan State and Illinois are tied for sixth at 4-4. I expected Illinois to be about where they are or maybe lower, Michigan State I expected to be in the top four. And maybe they will be when all is said and done.

Penn State just knocked off Iowa to improve to 3-5 in the conference. Once again I have to give the Devil her due. Rene Portland is a whiney, annoying, anti-gay bigot but somehow she finds ways to win games.

Next we have Wisconsin and Northwestern at 1-7, about what I thought. Finally we have my beloved Wolverines, who I foolishly thought would finish in the middle of the pack this season. How's that working out so far? Not bloody good at all, but thanks for asking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home