Jerrybear54's Sports Desk

politics sports popular culture and assorted postmodernist gibberish

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Lots of upsets and near upsets on the second day of the first round of the men's NCAA's. And here's how I did with my picks...

I was right on West Virginia over Southern Illinois, NC State over Cal-Berkeley, and Texas over Penn. Texas had a harder time with Penn than expected, winning by only eight.

Iowa let me down in a big way by losing to Northwestern State, the state in this case being Louisiana. The Hawkeyes suck! If not for them I would have gotten all the first round games right in the Atlanta bracket.

Memphis stomped Oral Roberts (who stinks) which was pretty much expected by all except the most deluded Oral Roberts backers. Bucknell did it again, another first round win and I called it! I also correctly called another first round choke job by Kansas as they lost to Bradley. Maybe they should change their cheer to "Rock! Choke! Jayhawk!" I was not so lucky with my foolish pick of Kent State over Pitt, as Pitt prevailed.

Connecticut had all kinds of trouble with U of Albany, who very nearly became the first 16 seed to knock off a 1 seed. But it was not to be as U-Conn won and fulfilled my prediction.

I also got North Carolina over Murray State correct, although the Tar Heels (like U-Conn) also had a very tough time in this game and only won by four points.

George Mason beat Michigan State! I repeat, GEORGE MASON BEAT MICHIGAN STATE!!! I knew this would happen, and predicted as much. And so the Spartans head back to East Lansing to get drunk, riot, and do whatever else they like doing there at Moo U.

I was wrong about UAB beating Kentucky, but Kentucky's five point margin of victory does not bode well for them lasting much longer. U-Conn will take them out in the next game.

Monmouth did a good job on defense and held Villanova to just 58 points. That being the good news for Monmouth. The bad news being that Villanova did even better on defense and held Monmouth to a paucity of 45 points. By the way, I picked Villanova.

I also correctly called Georgetown over Northern Iowa and Ohio State over Davidson. In the latter game, Davidson played very well, actually leading the heavily favored Buckeyes at halftime and losing by only eight in the end.

I was wrong on Wisconsin over Arizona, as the Badgers got beat badly. That's OK, because 'Zona is going down to 'Nova anyway.

More to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home