Jerrybear54's Sports Desk

politics sports popular culture and assorted postmodernist gibberish

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

"One is a humble, unassuming team player who excelled for four years at Michigan and is on the verge of earning another Super Bowl ring.

The other is a pampered, overrated "golden boy" who betrayed the University of Michigan and has already failed at one pro sport and is in the process of failing at another.

Tom Brady is a perfect example of what a Michigan Wolverine is supposed to be, and I am more than happy to see him succeed in the NFL.

Drew Henson is a spoiled punk, and I laugh every time he stumbles. I will never consider him to be a true Michigan person, and I lost any respect I may have had for him when he left Michigan at the last moment to chase after the money that Steinbrenner waved in his greedy face."

I wrote this last year in my old blog, and see no reason to change anything. Tom Brady is still a classy, humble team player and Drew Henson is still a greedy punk. I decided to post this again after seeing Drewie's name in a Dallas Cowboy preseason boxscore. His numbers were, as usual, pretty mediocre and I do not see him doing anything worthwhile.

Which brings me to another whole family of quarterbacks who are getting on my nerves more and more lately...the Mannings. Peyton is basically another Dan Marino. He puts up gaudy individual numbers but has little or no appreciation of the team concept and therefore always comes up short when it matters most. Younger brother Eli looks to be another Drew Hensonesque spoiled punk who thinks he is owed a Hall of Fame career. No, son, you have to earn that! Then there is daddy Archie, who never did much as a pro despite all the potential in the world, and now lives vicariously through his sons.

None of them (Henson, Marino, any of the Manning clan) will ever come close to the greatness of a Brett Favre, Tom Brady, or Bart Starr, no matter what the numbers might say. For one thing, Favre, Brady, and Starr all led their teams to at least one NFL championship, something none of the QB's whose names appear in the parenthesis can say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home